Skip to main content

FINALLY... Grilling season is HERE!

I am a self proclaimed freak about certain foods, I don't like bananas or banana flavored things - except banana bread. I hate beans - except green ones. Craziest of all, I HATE GROUND MEAT. I am not sure where that came from, but I just can't get over the texture. I love steak, no go hamburger. This normally doesn't bother me, but this time of year, I love the smell and the idea of a really great burger. Here was my solution!
I bought a giant portabella mushroom. I rubbed it with smoked paprika, rosemary, bacon salt (mentioned in early posts and DELICIOUS) and olive oil. I let it sit for a while in the rub and then put it on the grill.
While that was marinating, I also prepared some giant asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper and a heavy dose of balsamic vinegar. I also put them on the grill. Word of caution on grilling asparagus, use large stalks, cook them quickly and be careful, they easily slip between the grates.
Once the mushroom was grilled well on both sides, I flipped it so the top of the mushroom was on the grill. I filled the inside of the mushroom with gorgonzola cheese. When it got gooey and melted, I sprinkled pieces of bacon on top. I put it on a bun and dug in to a delicious grilled "burger" with asparagus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "just OK" Sunday Experiment or Homage to Iowa

When I was young, I used to go visit my grandparents in Iowa on their farm. We always went to this restaurant in Van Horne called Woody's who had amazing fried pork tenderloin sandwiches. I loved them loaded with pickles and yellow mustard. I was reading the most recent Food Network magazine and they had a recipe for a version of them! I made a variation on their version. I first pounded out boneless pork chops super thin. Then I made a marinade in buttermilk, eggs, cayenne pepper, and crushed garlic. The chops marinated over night in it. I had my standing Scary Movie Sunday plans with my friend Andrea. She is my favorite food tester. So I gave her the run down and she and I caught up while I set up the breading station. I dredged the pork in flour (seasoned- salt, pepper and cayenne) then back in the buttermilk and then in corn flakes crunched up. I then fried them in peanut oil quickly. I got soft onion rolls and loaded up the pickles and mustard, just like Woody's. They were...

I Don't Think I Could Love Brussels Sprouts More...

I know, many people hate them. I get it, mushy, stinky orbs of green. My sister Katie once described them as "they taste like stink". I challenge you haters to give them another try. I am pretty sure you just had them cooked really poorly. I love them, my favorite way to have them is roasted. Although I am pretty sure every vegetable is good roasted. I had a delicious piece of salmon last Friday at the new Keiran's in Block E. It was served over roasted brussels sprouts and had a garlic, lemony, caper butter over it. It rolled through my head all weekend. So last night, I made my version of it. I did a quick marinade (about 30 minutes)of the salmon in lemon zest and juice, grainy mustard, shallots and olive oil. Then I trimmed and chopped brussels sprouts and diced yukon gold potatoes in to smaller pieces. I drizzled them with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I put them in a 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. Then, I put the salmon on the grill. While th...

Happy Mother's Day!

I come from a family of food lovers. We are huge fans of grazing and breakfast food. For Mother's Day, we went home to Stillwater to cook for Mom. Her request was ham, mushroom and cheese omlettes. I am not a huge fan of omlettes but mostly I am not skilled in omlette making(so didn't want to set myself up). I diplomatically suggested to Mom that a scramble would be better, she was game. I am a firm believer that eggs should not be overcooked and dry. The key is adding the ingredients before the eggs are cooked completely. My favorite ham right now is the Boar's Head Honey Ham from Lunds. I like to get it shaved, the thinner the better. In addition to ham, I added shredded sharp cheddar cheese, mushrooms (saute before adding), fresh spinach (also cooked before) and fresh cherry tomatoes(chopped). For the side, I roasted potatoes. Seriously, I have never met a potato I didn't like. I like all versions of them. For Mom, I roasted them diced with shallots. First, I drizz...