Skip to main content

Favorites from the box and summer salads, part 1

This week in the box we got more lettuce, but there were 2 treats I really enjoyed. 1, strawberries. It is truly amazing how different strawberries straight from the farm taste vs. the grocery store. They were really tart and melt in your mouth. Number 2, fresh dill. It was possibly the best dill I have ever had. The first thing I did with it was add it to the lettuce to make a salad. I blanched asparagus, cut those up and added chopped green onion. I made a quick lemon vinagrette with simply, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper, shallot chopped finely and olive oil. The second thing I did with the dill was roast small yukon gold potatoes with more dill, chopped shallot, olive oil, salt and pepper, and cayenne. Dill and potatoes make some magic connection, I couldn't stop eating them! (this goes back to my long enduring love of potatoes and the statement I have made "I have never met a potato I didn't like". )

I really do love salads in the summer. The abundance of fresh vegetables makes them easy and there isn't much that is more refreshing and cool to eat when the temps rise. I am sure many people have had the "Asian" salad that I put in quotes because it uses bag cole slaw and Ramen noodles. In addition to being a summer picninc standard in MN, it is actually really tasty. Last night I did my spin on this salad. I used a bag of broccoli slaw (if you haven't had it, delicious AND nutritious), shredded rotisserie chicken, green onion and a package of beef flavored ramen noodles. I took the ramen flavor packet and combined it with some sugar (probably a heaping tablespoon), soy sauce, sesame oil (just a little), rice wine vineagar, cayenne and olive oil. I whisked together like a vinagrette and tossed the slaw, green onions and chicken together. Then topped only what I was eating with the crunchy ramen noodles (don't add all of them to the dish otherwise they will get soggy). It was a perfect summer dinner salad. More salads to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "just OK" Sunday Experiment or Homage to Iowa

When I was young, I used to go visit my grandparents in Iowa on their farm. We always went to this restaurant in Van Horne called Woody's who had amazing fried pork tenderloin sandwiches. I loved them loaded with pickles and yellow mustard. I was reading the most recent Food Network magazine and they had a recipe for a version of them! I made a variation on their version. I first pounded out boneless pork chops super thin. Then I made a marinade in buttermilk, eggs, cayenne pepper, and crushed garlic. The chops marinated over night in it. I had my standing Scary Movie Sunday plans with my friend Andrea. She is my favorite food tester. So I gave her the run down and she and I caught up while I set up the breading station. I dredged the pork in flour (seasoned- salt, pepper and cayenne) then back in the buttermilk and then in corn flakes crunched up. I then fried them in peanut oil quickly. I got soft onion rolls and loaded up the pickles and mustard, just like Woody's. They were...

I Don't Think I Could Love Brussels Sprouts More...

I know, many people hate them. I get it, mushy, stinky orbs of green. My sister Katie once described them as "they taste like stink". I challenge you haters to give them another try. I am pretty sure you just had them cooked really poorly. I love them, my favorite way to have them is roasted. Although I am pretty sure every vegetable is good roasted. I had a delicious piece of salmon last Friday at the new Keiran's in Block E. It was served over roasted brussels sprouts and had a garlic, lemony, caper butter over it. It rolled through my head all weekend. So last night, I made my version of it. I did a quick marinade (about 30 minutes)of the salmon in lemon zest and juice, grainy mustard, shallots and olive oil. Then I trimmed and chopped brussels sprouts and diced yukon gold potatoes in to smaller pieces. I drizzled them with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I put them in a 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. Then, I put the salmon on the grill. While th...

Happy Mother's Day!

I come from a family of food lovers. We are huge fans of grazing and breakfast food. For Mother's Day, we went home to Stillwater to cook for Mom. Her request was ham, mushroom and cheese omlettes. I am not a huge fan of omlettes but mostly I am not skilled in omlette making(so didn't want to set myself up). I diplomatically suggested to Mom that a scramble would be better, she was game. I am a firm believer that eggs should not be overcooked and dry. The key is adding the ingredients before the eggs are cooked completely. My favorite ham right now is the Boar's Head Honey Ham from Lunds. I like to get it shaved, the thinner the better. In addition to ham, I added shredded sharp cheddar cheese, mushrooms (saute before adding), fresh spinach (also cooked before) and fresh cherry tomatoes(chopped). For the side, I roasted potatoes. Seriously, I have never met a potato I didn't like. I like all versions of them. For Mom, I roasted them diced with shallots. First, I drizz...