Skip to main content

Sushi, Poke, Who Cares.....

I distinctly remember the first time I ate sushi. I was in San Francisco for the first time and up until then NEVER thought I would enjoy raw fish. After my first bite of raw tuna, I knew it was the beginning of a wonderful friendship. My favorite version of sushi is any variation of spicy tuna. What is it about the amazing spicy heat that warms from within mixed with the mix of soy and sesame flavor? Intoxicating, I have come to  understand the term "umami". OK, I know, I am being dramatic, but it is GOOD.
Sushi remains to be an art that I would rather enjoy from the table instead of the kitchen. That being said, when I found out how easy it was to prepare the spicy tuna mayo mixture it was time to give it a whirl.
What is very important when preparing this, get fresh tuna. I would say the previously frozen is fine, but prepare and eat the same day if possible. However, this mayo is also really good with shrimp.
To make the spicy mayo, it is very simple. Mayo, Sriacha (but my favorite is the garlic chili sauce in the asian food aisle by the Sriacha), sesame oil (spend the extra for a high quality sesame oil and keep in the fridge it goes bad quickly) and a splash of soy sauce. Of course adjust the amounts based on how spicy you like it. So start small, and build. The reason I love the garlic chili sauce is it has more flavor and not just heat. Don't get me wrong, it is spicy so be careful.



When using tuna, I first briefly marinate the tuna steak in soy sauce, ginger, a little lemon and a little lime. It really only needs to be in the marinade for a very short time. The citrus will actually start cooking the fish and the texture will get mushy. So really 15-20 minutes max. I usually let it sit while I cut veggies. In a bowl, I dice cucumbers and green onions finely and then cube up the tuna. I then mix in the magic spicy mayo.
I love to serve this as a dip appetizer with fried won tons or serve it on a platter with the tuna mixture on top of won tons. I also call this a version of Hawaiian poke (po-keh). They have a bunch of versions of chopped up tuna mixed with different flavors. Enjoy tuna!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Drink aka Buttered Rum

In our house as kids, my parents were big fans of the traditional "Tom & Jerry" drink mix. I remember them making an alcohol-free version for us that had a light sprinkle of cinnamon on top. It was the epitome of Christmas season for me until I had my first sip of buttered rum. It was like liquid brown sugar with a shot of buttery goodness. I thought though, I think I can do better. I took it on as a personal mission to perfect a recipe. The first time I made it, way too much butter. When I melted it in with hot water and took a sip, my lips were shiny with a buttery sheen and my lips felt like I had Vaseline on them. Then, I made one with too much brown sugar, taste was good and fine, but it didn't mix quite the way I wanted it to with a frothy creamy look. So I did some research online with ingredients. Some of them had vanilla ice cream in them. So I decided to give it a whirl. Take in mind, this is in no way a healthy drink. This holiday season, it was perfected.

I Don't Think I Could Love Brussels Sprouts More...

I know, many people hate them. I get it, mushy, stinky orbs of green. My sister Katie once described them as "they taste like stink". I challenge you haters to give them another try. I am pretty sure you just had them cooked really poorly. I love them, my favorite way to have them is roasted. Although I am pretty sure every vegetable is good roasted. I had a delicious piece of salmon last Friday at the new Keiran's in Block E. It was served over roasted brussels sprouts and had a garlic, lemony, caper butter over it. It rolled through my head all weekend. So last night, I made my version of it. I did a quick marinade (about 30 minutes)of the salmon in lemon zest and juice, grainy mustard, shallots and olive oil. Then I trimmed and chopped brussels sprouts and diced yukon gold potatoes in to smaller pieces. I drizzled them with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I put them in a 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. Then, I put the salmon on the grill. While th

My "just OK" Sunday Experiment or Homage to Iowa

When I was young, I used to go visit my grandparents in Iowa on their farm. We always went to this restaurant in Van Horne called Woody's who had amazing fried pork tenderloin sandwiches. I loved them loaded with pickles and yellow mustard. I was reading the most recent Food Network magazine and they had a recipe for a version of them! I made a variation on their version. I first pounded out boneless pork chops super thin. Then I made a marinade in buttermilk, eggs, cayenne pepper, and crushed garlic. The chops marinated over night in it. I had my standing Scary Movie Sunday plans with my friend Andrea. She is my favorite food tester. So I gave her the run down and she and I caught up while I set up the breading station. I dredged the pork in flour (seasoned- salt, pepper and cayenne) then back in the buttermilk and then in corn flakes crunched up. I then fried them in peanut oil quickly. I got soft onion rolls and loaded up the pickles and mustard, just like Woody's. They were