Skip to main content

Christmas Drink aka Buttered Rum

In our house as kids, my parents were big fans of the traditional "Tom & Jerry" drink mix. I remember them making an alcohol-free version for us that had a light sprinkle of cinnamon on top. It was the epitome of Christmas season for me until I had my first sip of buttered rum. It was like liquid brown sugar with a shot of buttery goodness. I thought though, I think I can do better.
I took it on as a personal mission to perfect a recipe. The first time I made it, way too much butter. When I melted it in with hot water and took a sip, my lips were shiny with a buttery sheen and my lips felt like I had Vaseline on them. Then, I made one with too much brown sugar, taste was good and fine, but it didn't mix quite the way I wanted it to with a frothy creamy look. So I did some research online with ingredients. Some of them had vanilla ice cream in them. So I decided to give it a whirl. Take in mind, this is in no way a healthy drink.
This holiday season, it was perfected. The below amounts made 8 small mason jars for gifts this year.
2 sticks of room temp butter
1 quart of mostly melted vanilla bean ice cream
1-1/2- 2 bags of dark brown sugar
season to taste with:
ground ginger
cinnamon
ground cloves
vanilla
ground cardamom (a little goes a long way)
ground nutmeg
The first thing to do in a mixer is combine the softened butter with the brown sugar. Once they are thoroughly mixed, slowly add in the softened ice cream. Mix that together. Then start seasoning to taste.
When it is complete, it should be a creamy texture, almost like batter. When ready to add 1-2 heaping spoonfuls to hot water and a favorite alcoholic beverage. Some of my favorites are Jameson, brandy or this year I made an infused bourbon with orange and that combination was fantastic!
Enjoy through the winter!




Comments

  1. I'm enjoying a cup of this delightful goodness right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I mix mine with hot cocoa in the mornings. MMMM!

    My husband and father-in-law tried it with captain and liked it.

    Great creation and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day!

I come from a family of food lovers. We are huge fans of grazing and breakfast food. For Mother's Day, we went home to Stillwater to cook for Mom. Her request was ham, mushroom and cheese omlettes. I am not a huge fan of omlettes but mostly I am not skilled in omlette making(so didn't want to set myself up). I diplomatically suggested to Mom that a scramble would be better, she was game. I am a firm believer that eggs should not be overcooked and dry. The key is adding the ingredients before the eggs are cooked completely. My favorite ham right now is the Boar's Head Honey Ham from Lunds. I like to get it shaved, the thinner the better. In addition to ham, I added shredded sharp cheddar cheese, mushrooms (saute before adding), fresh spinach (also cooked before) and fresh cherry tomatoes(chopped). For the side, I roasted potatoes. Seriously, I have never met a potato I didn't like. I like all versions of them. For Mom, I roasted them diced with shallots. First, I drizz

Long break from the blog...

Busy work and life has distracted me from writing here! I hope I am back in it now, just because I was away from the blog doesn't mean I have been away from cooking. Unfortunately all of the cooking for spring just hasn't happened for me yet because Mother Nature has not cooperated. I actually made not only a batch of delicious chili but biscuit bread pudding. I am hoping this is the last of that! I have made this version of chili a number of times, but I have to say this was my favorite one. As I might have mentioned before, I don't do ground meat. I also am not a fan of beans. However, I have always loved the idea of the flavors of chili. So I made beanless pot roast chili! I first seared the seasoned pot roast (salt and pepper and cumin) in a very hot dutch oven. After the pot roast has a good brown crust take it out and add in thinly sliced onions. As the onions cook they pull up the delicious brown goodness left in the bottom of the pan. Then I put it all in the slow