Skip to main content

MORE Summer Salads

I had a friend over for dinner and promised that I would be experimenting on her. I am pretty sure she was a little scared.
I had seen on a couple of Food Network shows, grilled romaine salad. I have always been a traditionalist when it comes to lettuce, it should be cold. UNTIL NOW! I purchased a bag of romaine hearts and sliced them in half (keeping the core at the bottom so they don't fall apart on the grill). I brushed them with olive oil and put them right on the grill. They cook very quickly, so move fast. They spent the most time on the cut side, but I moved them around. Then I took them off the grill and went inside. I made a lemon/dijon vinagrette with lemon (juice and zest), a hefty couple of tablespoons of dijon, chopped shallots, some salt and pepper and a little honey. Whisked it together with olive oil and ready... I crumbled some bacon and gorgonzola cheese over the top and yum.
Along with the salad, I decided to try grilling pizza dough. I have seen it done a number of times. Why not? Well, I learned a few things grilling it. Before I put it on the grill, I brushed olive oil and sprinkled salt and pepper on one side. The first thing I learned that I should have cut the dough in half to start with. The entire Pillsbury pizza dough, 9x13 fitting crust is too big to manage. Thank you kitchen shears. I did end up with some pizza dough globs that I grilled. They were unattractive but still yummy. Secondly, I thought since this was the first time, I would put it on the higher grate on my grill to have more indirect heat. It just took a long time and got sticky. I moved the sliced pieces to the bottom.
I had intended to put grilled mushrooms on the pizza, but got the no-go from my guest because she said if it was between drinking battery acid and eating mushrooms she might have a tough time deciding but would lean towards battery acid. So I just put on a cream cheese spread I made with some CSA items, more dill and chopped up green garlic. After both sides of the pizza crust had some grill marks, I spread on the cream cheese mixture on the crust and let it get bubbly.
Overall, the experiment was a success. I learned a few things for next time, but I will continue to perfect it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Drink aka Buttered Rum

In our house as kids, my parents were big fans of the traditional "Tom & Jerry" drink mix. I remember them making an alcohol-free version for us that had a light sprinkle of cinnamon on top. It was the epitome of Christmas season for me until I had my first sip of buttered rum. It was like liquid brown sugar with a shot of buttery goodness. I thought though, I think I can do better. I took it on as a personal mission to perfect a recipe. The first time I made it, way too much butter. When I melted it in with hot water and took a sip, my lips were shiny with a buttery sheen and my lips felt like I had Vaseline on them. Then, I made one with too much brown sugar, taste was good and fine, but it didn't mix quite the way I wanted it to with a frothy creamy look. So I did some research online with ingredients. Some of them had vanilla ice cream in them. So I decided to give it a whirl. Take in mind, this is in no way a healthy drink. This holiday season, it was perfected.

My "just OK" Sunday Experiment or Homage to Iowa

When I was young, I used to go visit my grandparents in Iowa on their farm. We always went to this restaurant in Van Horne called Woody's who had amazing fried pork tenderloin sandwiches. I loved them loaded with pickles and yellow mustard. I was reading the most recent Food Network magazine and they had a recipe for a version of them! I made a variation on their version. I first pounded out boneless pork chops super thin. Then I made a marinade in buttermilk, eggs, cayenne pepper, and crushed garlic. The chops marinated over night in it. I had my standing Scary Movie Sunday plans with my friend Andrea. She is my favorite food tester. So I gave her the run down and she and I caught up while I set up the breading station. I dredged the pork in flour (seasoned- salt, pepper and cayenne) then back in the buttermilk and then in corn flakes crunched up. I then fried them in peanut oil quickly. I got soft onion rolls and loaded up the pickles and mustard, just like Woody's. They were

I Don't Think I Could Love Brussels Sprouts More...

I know, many people hate them. I get it, mushy, stinky orbs of green. My sister Katie once described them as "they taste like stink". I challenge you haters to give them another try. I am pretty sure you just had them cooked really poorly. I love them, my favorite way to have them is roasted. Although I am pretty sure every vegetable is good roasted. I had a delicious piece of salmon last Friday at the new Keiran's in Block E. It was served over roasted brussels sprouts and had a garlic, lemony, caper butter over it. It rolled through my head all weekend. So last night, I made my version of it. I did a quick marinade (about 30 minutes)of the salmon in lemon zest and juice, grainy mustard, shallots and olive oil. Then I trimmed and chopped brussels sprouts and diced yukon gold potatoes in to smaller pieces. I drizzled them with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I put them in a 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. Then, I put the salmon on the grill. While th